Labor Exploitation: Slavery, a monstrous practice of humankind, has been abolished many years ago. However, it seems that it only changed its name and shape as today we face the modern form of this phenomenon. In the modern world, there are still slavery-like practices such as forcing the workers to work for 10 hours a day and 6 or even 7 days a week in inhumane conditions. This phenomenon is the new type of slavery which is called labor exploitation. As the name suggests, the term refers to the fact that workers are forced to work for extremely low salaries, live in small, unsanitary, container-like places in groups of 6 or more and even to do work they do not want to do. This issue goes so much farther: workers` passports are taken from them to keep them from leaving the country and the work. Also, some employers intimidate their workers by saying that if they are to complain about the situation to the authorities, they won`t be paid. This is an issue that requires the utmost attention because such inhumanity cannot be ignored.
- Qatar: World Cup 2022 forced labor
- Britain’s Modern Slave Trade – Al Jazeera Investigates
- Brazil: Slaves To Fashion-Latin America Investigates
- Severe labor exploitation: workers moving within or into the European Union
- Protect human rights and workers’ rights to end labor exploitation
Writing Task: After familiarizing yourself with the issue with the help of the material provided above, consider what can be done to solve this problem. While writing your essays you can use the points below;
- Increasing the efficiency of labour unions`
- Imposing harsh penalties on companies which exploit their workers` rights.
- Increasing awareness about the issue.
- Enacting laws concerning human and workers’ rights.