“Street harassment, a form of gender-based violence against women, can include any act or comment perpetrated in a public space that is unwanted and threatening, and is motivated by a person’s perceived sex or gender.”
Before reading the text, you can have a look at the videos about street harassment:
1. Read paragraphs 1 and 2: What is the reason for Mexico’s current ranking in terms of street harassment?
2. It is implied in the passage that Hollaback and Safecity are websites where ……………………. (Use your own words)
3. Which statements are true according to the experiences of Paola Abril Campos?
•She chooses not to wear skimpy clothes
•She calls her acquaintances when she is afraid.
•She changes her route while going to work/home.
•She feels powerful when harassed.
4. Taking into consideration the results of the study done by Campos and her colleagues: a woman who is afraid of harassment is more likely to…
• miss her family
• experience interruption to her daily routines
• suffer from long lasting diseases more often
• experience psychological problems
• experience violence only in crowded places
5. Which of the solutions do not fit with the ones mentioned in the text?
• Women-only transportation
• Fines to end street harassment
• Drawing attention to the harassed women with whistles
6. What are the common points in the reactions of the activists?
• They act passively
• Women take on the responsibility
• They aim to show the harmful effects of street harassment
• The perpetrator may get injured
7. According to the author, what further actions should be taken to eliminate street harassment?
• People should be made aware that street harassment is an inevitable part of living in a city
• The ones committing street harassment should be made to change their behaviors
• Women should take the necessary precautions
Answers for the Reading Questions
1. Men can easily touch women on public transport
2. Women can share their experiences of street harassment
3. T, F, T, F
4. experience interruption on her daily routines, suffer from long lasting diseases more often, experience psychological problems
5. Drawing attention to the harassed women with whistles
6. Women take on the responsibility, They aim to show the harmful effects of street harassment
7. The ones committing street harassment should be made to change their behaviors
As you have formed an opinion about street harassment, its negative effects on the women and some possible solutions, you can write a problem solution essay about what can be done to eliminate the problem of street harassment. Before starting, you can read the texts above to have a deeper understanding of the issue. You can organize your essay according to what the main problems are and what can be done.